Sneed, E., Herschensohn, J., & Frenck-Mestre, C. (2015). Pronoun processing in anglophone late L2 learners of French: Behavioral and ERP evidence. Journal of Neurolinguistics, 34, 15-40.
- We examined cortical response in L2 acquisition of French clitic pronouns.
- All groups (Natives, High- and Low-intermediates) responded to in situ clitic placement with a P600.
- L2 groups demonstrated distinct capacities according to level.
- Both groups of learners showed a stronger ERP response to in situ pronoun placement than behavioral data would suggest.
- Our ERP data suggest grammaticalization of L2 pronouns prior to conscious use.