For Graduate Students - UW Resources

A collection of resources and wisdom that linggrads wish they’d known about earlier, and are passing on to you!

Careers and CVs

The UW Career Center offers workshops, events, and one-on-one appointments related to careers.

Centers, Organizations, and Facilities

Some of the special resources and facilities at the University of Washington include:

Graduate students in Linguistics who desire professional training in foreign language teaching may also earn UW's Graduate Certificate in Second/Foreign Language Teaching.

Conference Presentations and Posters

Print conference posters at VD&P Posters. Keep in mind they need ½ a day to print proofs, 24 hours to print full poster (but don’t assume that you won’t hit any snags - they have at lost a linggrad’s order at least once in the past!)

  • Hint: print a proof first so you can see what it looks like before printing the full poster.
  • Proofs are $10, posters $60-80
  • If you have research funds, ask the linguistics administrator for the budget number so that your personal department research budget can cover it. That’s what it’s there for! (*Again, this amount may vary from cohort to cohort and is not guaranteed.)
  • We highly recommend the travel fabric option - fold it up in your luggage and iron it when you get to your conference.
  • Practice presentation skills at quarterly Scholars’ Studio events in the Libraries’ Research Commons (or just attend the event - it’s fun!).


  • You should not have a personal relationship with your committee’s Graduate School Representative (GSR). In fact, you don’t even need to know your GSR.
  • Your GSR does not need to be knowledgeable about your topic - they just need to be knowledgeable about the rules (and sometimes it’s easier that way!).
  • Your advisor might be able to help you find a GSR.
  • Info on GSR eligibility

Linguistics Department Matters

Attending most colloquia is expected of graduate students. Attendance does not go unnoticed by the faculty.

Participation in LSUW is an important aspect of being a part of the UW Linguistics community. It’s also good for your CV and helpful for your recommendation letter writers.

If you use the kitchen, clean it! Please don’t leave dishes in the sink for others to wash around or wash for you.

Room Reservations: Do you need to reserve the conference room (GUG 415L)? Please submit the Room Reservation form and we will check on availability. (A tentative schedule for the conference room may be seen here.)

Share News With Us: Do you have news or information to share with the UW Linguistics community? Let us know, and we will add it to our newsletter and media sites. 

Mental Health/Wellness/Safety

Urgent Care: 

  • Immediate mental health assistance: crisis counseling. The crisis counselor can usually see you within an hour. Outside of regular hours, you can call the Crisis Clinic at 206-461-3222.

Hall Health provides exceptional medical and mental health care to the diverse student body as well as established non-student patients. For non-urgent issues contact: 

  • Medical: call 206-685-1011
  • Mental health: call 206-543-1240
  • Email:

As a UW student, you can see a counselor at the UW Counseling Center for free (they only charge for things like career assessment tests, not counseling appointments). This is a really great resource if you're struggling with stress, depression, feeling overwhelmed, etc.  Many students can get the help they need via short term counseling at the Counseling Center, but they can also help with referrals to other resources for longer term counseling.  Their counselors are sometimes available for couples counseling (subject to counselor availability).

  • You can find information about getting support if you've been sexually assaulted here
  • The Counseling Center also has a light therapy room for Seasonal Affective Disorder.
  • SafeCampus - You can call SafeCampus (206-685-SAFE) any time you're worried someone might be (or become) a danger to themselves or others. If you're not sure whether you should be concerned about someone's behavior, this is a great resource to consult and get advice about the best way to move forward. They can also work with Student Life to reach out to students who may need help.
  • Disability Services Office - In addition to the accommodations you usually think of, you might not know that they also help with short term accommodations - for example, if you are injured or pregnant.
  • IMA- Use of the IMA is free for registered students with your husky card (you already paid to use it when you paid your tuition/fees). 

Research and Writing

Stats and Data Management

Teaching Resources

The Center for Teaching and Learning organizes learning communities around various themes, offers an annual conference where you can present on your teaching. You can also schedule a consultation with a CTL staff member to discuss pedagogical issues related to your course, get help with course/syllabus design, work with them to gather focus group style student feedback, get help with writing your teaching philosophy or putting together a teaching portfolio, etc.

Do you require your students to do a research project in your class, and want to have a librarian come out and talk to them about how to choose a project topic, find and evaluate sources, use library resources, etcetera? Request that service here.

If you teach in a language department outside of the Linguistics department, Language & Literature and Area Studies librarians are available in addition to Linguistics librarian Dan Mandeville. Fill out the request form or ask Dan to help coordinate library workshops for any courses you might teach in Linguistics, or elsewhere.  

UW’s Other On-Campus Resources and Groups

  • Ombud Office - Confidential assistance with conflict resolution for members of the UW community. 
  • STF Equipment - For checking out equipment like cameras, video cameras, projectors, laptops, etc. You already pay for this (in your tuition/fees), so you might as well use it.
  • Q Center -  Events, support groups, advising, resources for folks of all sexual orientations/gender identities. Organizes the annual Lavender Graduation. Also check out their Resources Repository.
  • Leadership Without Borders - Office on campus focused on support and advocacy for undocumented students. 
  • Student Legal Services - Free 40 minute legal consultations for students.
  • Student Parent Resource Center - Offers needs-based funding for childcare for student parents, info on finding childcare providers, lists of lactation station and changing station locations.
  • UAW Local 4121 - Academic Student Employee union. Provides support for academic appointment-related complaints and grievances.
  • On-campus post office - Copy and Mail Center Communications B042. You can buy postage and mail out packages, and the line is usually shorter than in the post office on the Ave.