Graduate Student Resources

A collection of resources and wisdom that linggrads wish they’d known about earlier, and are passing on to you!

Travel Funding

The department tries to provide resources for PhD students to fund academic travel and research costs. However, this funding is budget-dependent and therefore NOT guaranteed and may vary from cohort to cohort. Please refer to the Resources Committee for information about your cohort's funds.

Other resources:

Fellowships and External Support

The department expects all PhD students to seek external funding every year. Opportunities include:

  • FLAS (Foreign Language and Area Studies) fellowships for both academic year and summer funding of language study. Linggrads have historically had high success rates with the FLAS since our long-term interests are focused on language.
  • GO-MAP (Graduate Opportunity and Minority Achievement Program), a division of the Graduate School that provides support, resources, and a number of scholarships and fellowships for graduate students of color.
  • GRAPES database of graduate funding (hosted by UCLA)
  • The graduate school maintains lists of funding opportunities for graduate students
  • List of fellowships
    • Most of these are limited to US citizens or permanent residents – but not all of them – so read carefully and thoroughly.
    • Be careful about the amounts of the awards to make sure that you will receive enough to live on. Also note whether the award is for study at UW or intended to be used for research remotely (usually abroad).
    • If you are on campus, we recommend making an appointment with GFIS in spring quarter to get a start on fall applications. For incoming graduate students, you can meet with them in fall. But you also can email them in spring if you have specific questions. Unfortunately, the GFIS office is closed in the summer. One thing to be aware of is that some fellowships (e.g. NSF) have due dates early in fall quarter. So it’s a good idea to get a head start on preparing your applications.
    • Graduate Funding Information Service

Research and Writing

Stats and Data Management

 Citation Tools  (not an exhaustive list)

  • Library guide on citation management software
  • Web of Science (restricted to peer reviewed journal articles and books)
  • Google Scholar (promiscuous citation index - not restricted)
  • Often a UW Libraries search will be sufficient.

Teaching Resources

The Center for Teaching and Learning organizes learning communities around various themes, offers an Annual conference where you can present on your teaching

Schedule a consultation with a CTL staff member to discuss pedagogical issues related to your course, get help with course/syllabus design, work with them to gather focus group style student feedback, get help with writing your teaching philosophy or putting together a teaching portfolio, etc.

Do you require your students to do a research project in your class, and want to have a librarian come out and talk to them about how to choose a project topic, find and evaluate sources, use library resources, etcetera?  You can request that service here.

If you teach in a language department outside of the Linguistics department, Language & Literature and Area Studies librarians are available in addition to Linguistics librarian Dan Mandeville. Fill out the request form or ask Dan to help coordinate library workshops for any courses you might teach in Linguistics, or elsewhere.  

Careers and CVs

The UW Career Center offers workshops, events, and one-on-one appointments related to careers.

Conference Presentations and Posters

Print conference posters at VD&P Posters. Keep in mind they need ½ a day to print proofs, 24 hours to print full poster (but don’t assume that you won’t hit any snags - they have at lost a linggrad’s order at least once in the past!)

  • Hint: print a proof first so you can see what it looks like before printing the full poster.
  • Proofs are $10, posters $60-80
  • If you have research funds, ask the linguistics administrator for the budget number so that your personal department research budget can cover it. That’s what it’s there for! (*Again, this amount may vary from cohort to cohort and is not guaranteed.)
  • We highly recommend the travel fabric option - fold it up in your luggage and iron it when you get to your conference.
  • Practice presentation skills at quarterly Scholars’ Studio events in the Libraries’ Research Commons (or just attend the event - it’s fun!).

UW Linguistics Department Etiquette

Attending most colloquia is expected of graduate students. Attendance does not go unnoticed by the faculty.

Participation in LSUW is an important aspect of being a part of the UW Linguistics community. It’s also good for your CV and helpful for your recommendation letter writers.


  • You should not have a personal relationship with your committee’s Graduate School Representative (GSR). In fact, you don’t even need to know your GSR.
  • Your GSR does not need to be knowledgeable about your topic - they just need to be knowledgeable about the rules (and sometimes it’s easier that way!).
  • Your advisor might be able to help you find a GSR.
  • Info on GSR eligibility

Mental Health/Wellness/Safety

As a UW student, you can see a counselor at the UW Counseling Center for free (they only charge for things like career assessment tests, not counseling appointments).  This is a really great resource if you're struggling with stress, depression, feeling overwhelmed, etc.  Many students can get the help they need via short term counseling at the Counseling Center, but they can also help with referrals to other resources for longer term counseling.  Their counselors are sometimes available for couples counseling (subject to counselor availability).

  • Typically there's a 1-2 week wait period for an appointment with the Counseling Center.  If you are in the midst of a crisis and need to see someone right away, they also have drop-in crisis counseling.  The crisis counselor can usually see you within an hour.  Outside of regular hours, you can call the Crisis Clinic at (206) 461-3222.
  • The Counseling Center also has a light therapy room for Seasonal Affective Disorder.
  • Mental Health @ Hall Health
  • You can find information about getting support if you've been sexually assaulted here.
  • SafeCampus - You can call SafeCampus (206-685-SAFE) any time you're worried someone might be (or become) a danger to themselves or others. If you're not sure whether you should be concerned about someone's behavior, this is a great resource to consult and get advice about the best way to move forward. They can also work with Student Life to reach out to students who may need help.
  • Disability Services Office - In addition to the accommodations you usually think of, you might not know that they also help with short term accommodations - for example, if you are injured or pregnant.
  • Hall Health Center - You get one free medical visit per quarter (excludes comprehensive physicals, "specialty visits," and procedures) thanks to your tuition fees. \ General info on what is covered by tuition/fees, and what would have to come out of your insurance/pocket, can be found here.
  • IMA - Use of the IMA is free for registered students with your husky card (you already paid to use it when you paid your tuition/fees).  Info on the IMA's facilities.  You can also pay to take classes (yoga, aquatics, sports, etc.)

General Linguistics Resources


UW has access to many corpora:

  • BYU Corpora - includes COCA, and a dozen other easily-searchable English and Spanish corpora with historical, genre, domain information etc.
  • Quranic Arabic Treebank - entire Quran (beautifully) treebanked in dependency grammar.
  • UCLA’s Voice Project - recordings and corresponding text grids for languages with various types of voice quality.

Department Lab Resources

Professional Societies



Deep Learning tutorials and resources

Other On-Campus Resources and Groups

    • Ombud Office - Confidential assistance with conflict resolution for members of the UW community.  Some common issues they consult with students about are listed here.
    • STF Equipment - For checking out equipment like cameras, video cameras, projectors, laptops, etc.  You already pay for this (in your tuition/fees), so you might as well use it.
    • Q Center -  Events, support groups, advising, resources for folks of all sexual orientations/gender identities.  Organizes the annual Lavender Graduation.  Maintains a map of gender-neutral, accessible bathrooms.  Also check out Rainbow Grads.
    • Leadership Without Borders - Office on campus focused on support and advocacy for undocumented students.  Also check out Purple Group.
    • Student Legal Services - Free 40 minute legal consultations for students.
    • Student Parent Resource Center - Offers needs-based funding for childcare for student parents, info on finding childcare providers, lists of lactation station and changing station locations.
    • UAW Local 4121 - Academic Student Employee union. Provides support for academic appointment-related complaints and grievances.
    • On-campus post office - Copy and Mail Center Communications B042. You can buy postage and mail out packages, and the line is usually shorter than in the post office on the Ave.

Just for fun...