CLMS to PhD Prerequisites
Students who complete the Computational Linguistics Master of Science Degree and who wish to be admitted to Ph.D. study in Linguistics must satisfy the following:
- Completion of CLMS degree requirements
- Completion of Master’s thesis option
- Completion of three (3) courses required for Linguistics Ph.D. (CompLing track), subject to the following restrictions:
- Courses must be taught by at least two (2) non-CL Linguistics faculty
- Courses may not include 570-573
- The required general linguistics courses for CompLing track PhD degree in linguistics (as above).
CLMS to PhD Process
There are two parts to the admission process for CLMS to PhD transition students. First, the CL faculty decide whether to recommend students for admission. On the CL faculty's recommendation, such students can be admitted to the Linguistics Graduate Program as post-MS students. Admission to the PhD is decided by the full Linguistics faculty. Students may apply for admission as post-MS on completing their CLMS degree (thesis option), and for admission to the PhD program once they have also taken three courses required for the PhD (CL-track) including two taken by non-CL faculty. Students who choose their electives accordingly during the CLMS program may apply for admission to the Linguistics Graduate Program as PhD students directly. The purpose of the post-MS status is to make it possible for students to take further required courses with regular tuition (rather than CLMS fees).
Step 1: Changing from CLMS to post-MS status
- Students may apply for post-MS status after receiving their CLMS degree.
- Admission decision is made by the CL faculty.
- After admission, students pay regular UW tuition for courses.
Step 2: Entering the Linguistics PhD program
- Applications are due by March 1 each year.
- Admissions decisions will be made by April 1.
- The application requirements:
- Students applying for CLMS-to-PhD transition must have filed their Master's thesis
at the time of application.
- Applicants should submit their materials to this Google Form.
- Additional details may be found here.
- Admission decision is made by the full linguistics faculty.
Note: Steps 1 and 2 may be completed simultaneously.
Note: To be eligible for this CLMS-to-PhD transition, no more than three years may elapse between your graduating from CLMS and the Autumn quarter that you start PhD study. CLMS students who have been away from the program for longer but are interested in pursuing the PhD can apply to the general linguistics program (to do the CompLing track).